CBT – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is an effective and proven form of talking therapy. With the help of a fully trained Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, the process can help free you from unhelpful thought patterns. The therapy works by helping you understand, manage and change your thoughts and actions. It can work well for people suffering with problems like:
- OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)
- Panic attacks
- Eating disorders
- Physical pain
- Low self-esteem
- And a range of other issues
How Can A Cognitive Behavioural Therapist Help Me?
A Cognitive Behavioural Therapist will use a range of effective techniques to help you analyse your patterns of thought, feelings and behaviours. As you examine your thoughts, feelings and triggers, you will be able to find negative cycles. Your therapist will work to help you break these cycles, allowing you to lead a more positive life. CBT works by:
- Identifying your negative thoughts – you will identify your negative thinking and your triggers using diaries, notes and discussions
- Challenging unhelpful thoughts and feelings – you will challenge, question and test your negative thoughts, feelings and actions. These could be thoughts about yourself, others or the world around you
- Relaxing – your therapist will help you to focus on positive things and teach you ways to relax
- Managing problems – your therapist will help you to effectively manage your problems in your daily life
- Focusing on the here and now – you will focus on and deal with your problems now, rather than concentrating on exploring your past
How Long Will CBT Take To Work?
Every patient is different, so no two people will need exactly the same amount of therapy. Generally, patients will see their therapist for an hour a week for around 12 – 16 sessions. Freedom from your symptoms may be gradual at first, but many people find the therapy creates long-term improvements to the quality of their lives.
We offer CBT at our clinics throughout the Midlands. To find out more about CBT or to make a booking, please contact us.